Professional Year

A Professional Year Program is a structured professional development program combining formal learning and workplace experience for international students who have graduated from a university in Australia. Professional Year Programs run for 12 months and are currently available in the fields of accounting, computer science and engineering — Australian industries where the demand for skilled graduates is high. The Programs are primarily designed for students wishing to apply for permanent residency in Australia. They allow students to develop industry-specific skills through study and work experience, preparing them for professional careers in the Australian workforce. The Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) only recognises Professional Year Programs that have been approved by the government


  • You will need to have completed a degree in accounting, computer science or engineering (or a closely related area) in Australia.
  • You must hold a Skilled — Graduate (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 485), which allows you to remain in Australia for 18 months after the completion of your degree
  • To be eligible for this visa you must be under 50 years of age, have completed an eligible qualification within the last six months as a result of at least two years of study in Australia and possess the skills and qualifications required for an occupation listed on the Skilled Occupation List.

The following Professional Year Programs are recognised by the Australian Government:

  • CPA Australia Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting (SMIPA)
  • Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting
  • Institute of Public Accountants (IPA) Skilled Migration Internship Program: Accounting

Computer science

  • The Australian Computer Society Professional Year Program


  • Engineers Australia Professional Year Program

Health Cover- In Australia Every Student must have a health cover (OSHC) during their stay in Australia. Everyone needs to purchase OSHC for their entire staying period before coming to Australia. Students can find that their institution has an agreement with a specific OSHC provider. They can choose to take out OSHC with that provider, or with the Australian OSHC provider of their choice. HBD Services will assist you in obtaining the right OHSC membership through our affiliated partner provider;

  • NIB
Professional year (1)


Book an appointment today!